Do you believe passionately in the power of people to make change happen? Do you want to see better treatment and support for people living with borderline personality disorder? Join our activism team to put people power at the heart of our campaign for better healthcare.
What is an activist?
Activists are volunteers who are passionate about mental health, in particular BPD, and who have experienced their own challenges relating to their health care and service support. Activists use their voice to make change happen.
Activists come from a range of backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities, sexualities and religions – everyone is welcome, diversity is part of what makes campaigning for change so exciting.
Why do we need to take action for change?
As you probably know all too well, BPD is an under-diagnosed and under-serviced disorder, and lots of work is needed to make treatment more readily available. Too many people struggle in silence and on their own.
It is essential that more funding is allocated to services across the UK treating people living with Borderline Personality Disorder, and that care is standardised so that patients can receive adequate care regardless of where they live. We want to see the following changes:
- NCIE guidelines for treatment implemented fully by ALL healthcare professionals, or anyone involved in the care/treatment of someone with BPD.
- Improved training to be available for all healthcare professionals.
- Specialist training in borderline personality disorder to be available to social care professionals, police, probation officers and prison officers.
- Patients to be advised of all treatment options, and not be excluded from accessing them.
- An overhaul of the ‘crisis’ system including a reduction in response times, and the way people in distress are treated.
- More support groups and BPD specialist services.
What do activists do?
You can give as much or as little time as you want to. Some of the things our activist team do:
- write to local MPs
- sign and share the petition
- attend events
- write letters
- reach out to the media
- carry out research
- outreach to companies and organisations
- developing mini-campaigns
- taking part in events
- helping develop training and project plans
- and more!
Why join the activism team?
Activism is a rewarding way to volunteer, being part of a movement to make change happen that will change people’s lives for the better. You can gain experience of being part of an activism team, learn new skills, meet new people, and build your communication and advocacy skills.
Want to join the team or find out more?
We’d love to hear from you! There is so much work to be done, and you could be an integral part of that change. Contact us at email@example.com to join the team or find out more.