NHS Community Mental Health Team (CMHT)
The Community Mental Health Team (CMHT) assesses, treats and manages care needs and provides support for people experiencing serious mental health problems. The team help you to live as independently as possible in your community.
They have 3 teams covering North, South and Central Aberdeenshire. They are integrated teams of different health and social care professionals – Community Mental Health Nurses; Health Occupational Therapists; Psychiatrists; Psychologists and Social Workers. The teams bring together many different types of knowledge, skills and expertise. They look at you as a whole person so you get the care, treatment and support you need.
CMHT services include:
- Community Mental Health Nursing – supporting you to manage your health and providing treatment in the community
- Occupational Therapy – working with you to overcome difficulties with day to day tasks that you need or want to do
- Psychiatry – diagnosing mental health problems, prescribing medication and recommending treatment
- Psychology – helping you understand how your thoughts and feelings affect your behaviour
- Social Work services – providing help at home or with your social needs, including help with housing problems, financial support or general advice and support
Your GP needs to refer you to this service. Contact your GP if you are experiencing a mental health problem. They will refer you to the CMHT if appropriate.
Mental Health Aberdeen
Mental Health Aberdeen is a local charity that provides counselling and information services to adults and young people experiencing difficulties related to their mental health and wellbeing.
Mental Health Aberdeen was formed in 1950, making it one of the oldest charities working with people experiencing mental health difficulties. They have counselling services based in Aberdeen City and Aboyne.
Counselling gives you the opportunity to talk with a trained person to make changes in your life. Areas of difficulty where counselling can help include:
- Domestic or Relationship Problems
- Substance Misuse
- Any form of personal and emotional anxiety and distress
Helpline:01224 573 892
Breathing Space is a free, confidential phone and web based service for people in Scotland experiencing low mood, depression or anxiety. They are here in times of difficulty to provide a safe and supportive space by listening, offering advice and information. “It is our belief and hope that by empowering people they will have the resources to recover.” Visit their website for information on self help and many links to subjects of interest.
Tel: 0800 83 85 87
(24 hours at weekends, Fri–Mon 6pm–6am
and Mon–Thurs 6pm–2am)
My Life Dynamic (SAMH – Scottish Association for Mental Health)
My Life Dynamic provides a range of services across Aberdeenshire that support people with mental health problems and those with autism to strengthen their self-resilience. If you are age between 16 and 65 years then we can work together to access existing community facilities and services.
Tel: 0300 1234 677