We have continuously running campaigns to raise awareness and advocate for better healthcare, because people living with borderline personality disorder face too many challenges in getting adequate healthcare. Limited access to support, coupled with stigma and discrimination, make the condition harder to live with.
It doesn’t have to be this way. If enough of us lend our voice to our campaign, we can force change to happen.
As well as taking part in a range of awareness days, we are campaigning for real change in the healthcare system for those living with borderline personality disorder.
We deserve better care
It is essential that more funding is allocated to specialist services across the UK and that care is standardised, so that we can see an end to the postcode lottery of whether someone will get treatment depending on where they live.
We are campaigning for the following changes:
- NCIE guidelines for treatment implemented fully by ALL healthcare professionals, or anyone involved in the care/treatment of someone with BPD.
- Improved training to be available for all healthcare professionals.
- Specialist training in borderline personality disorder to be available to social care professionals, police, probation officers and prison officers.
- Patients to be advised of all treatment options, and not be excluded from accessing them.
- An overhaul of the ‘crisis’ system including a reduction in response times, and the way people in distress are treated.
- More support groups and BPD specialist services.
You can sign our petition here: https://www.change.org/p/improved-nhs-care-and-services-for-borderline-personality-disorder
If not now, then when?
We are seeing cases in the news everyday about people needlessly dying due to lack of care and support. This has to change, the healthcare system is failing people living with a complex condition which has a higher than average suicide risk (around 10% of people with borderline personality disorder will attempt to take their own life).
What can you do?
There are several things you can do: